Expect (at least) weekly posts! Keep checking in! 

Monday, April 26, 2010

Paris Weeklies! And Arrival in England!

It was a lovely week in Paris! Here are our weeklies to sum it up!




Photo of the Week

The Eiffel Tower - taken from the second tier by my father.


Place of the Week

The Paris sewer system, first created in 1370 and updated in 1991, is like no other sewer system in the world, as we learned in the Paris Sewer Museum with its 2100 kilometers of tunnels. The museum itself was incredibly smelly and we could actually see and hear the waste rushing beneath our feet through the grates, but it was fascinating.
Additionally, I'm a bit of a theater/literature nerd and I was so excited to visit the sewers that were referenced in Les Miserables multiple times.


Food of the Week

Beef Tartare. I didn't try it, but my father and Ariel ordered it and were incredibly surprised to find that it is actually raw hamburger meat seasoned with horseradish. My dad ate the entire thing. I tell you, he must have a stomach of steel because it did not look appetizing in the least.


Phrases of the Week

The phrases for this week are rather dull and most people know them; but they are useful when trying to properly practice French etiquette. They are simply "Bonjour" (hello), "Merci" (thank you), and "Au Revoir" (goodbye).
These basic phrases are simple as it is considered rude not to greet a shopkeeper and then thank them on the way out.


Arrival in England

We arrived just yesterday in Wellingborough, England, just North of London. It's a very small town but is surrounded by beautiful countryside and some fascinating history. Our hosts were very sweet to plan some excursions for us! Today, for example, we visited the Warwick Castle built by 1068 by William the Conquerer in Warwickshire. It is now a prominent tourist attraction in the region and includes a falconry, a theatrical dungeon tour (incredibly scary, but the actors were also very funny...I was laughing and screaming simultaneously), a giant slingshot, and a turret walk.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that I have a "stomach of steel" - true, the beef tartare didn't bother me, but I did get a bit of indigestion from the Italian restaurant that we dined at in Paris. Maybe the moral of this story is - eat local.
    Jim Haley

    ReplyDelete